Friday, January 16, 2009

'The Third Story' - Playwright's Note

Posted by Charles Busch, playwright-

Writing and storytelling have always been a major part of my life, even though my second-grade teacher, Mrs. Laspina, refused to tack any of my stories on the wall with the other kids’ work. My spelling was awful, my grammar hopeless and my penmanship illegible. Still, she was forced to admit, my stories were the most creative in the class.

Where did I get this love of narrative? At a very early age, I began watching old movies on television. My father loved romantic films, and together we shed a tear over Greer Garson and Ronald Colman in Random Harvest and Bette Davis in Now Voyager and Norma Shearer as Marie Antoinette. Like most kids, I also loved fairy tales. The Disney animated Sleeping Beauty was an early obsession of mine. The stories that so perplexed Mrs. Laspina tended to combine the Brothers Grimm with Warner Brothers. There was usually a gentle Princess who was kidnapped away from her enchanted castle and ended up a hard-boiled dame working in a whorehouse...(
more)

No comments: