Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rehearsal, Technically Speaking

Posted by January LaVoy, actor--

Whew! We've just completed the first 40-some-odd hours of Coraline tech rehearsals (with a few more to come). It's left me feeling simultaneously exhausted and compelled to blog a bit about the experience. 

I've been doing theatre for some time now, and have been fortunate enough to act in a number of new plays.  But I've never felt the type of creative energy and commitment that I feel from our Coraline tech and design crew. Each day of tech rehearsal has brought new delights - incredible and intricate set dressing, unbelievably gorgeous and inventive props, mind-blowingly beautiful lighting effects, fabulous and innovative costume designs... I could go on and on!  But I won't, because you simply must see it for yourself! 

I also wanted to send out some mighty props (not the stage kind) to the folks who are helping us put it all together backstage - our wardrobe crew, dressers, deck carpenters, ASM, PA's, et al... There is a huge group of people putting this show together, and they are doing it with amazing generosity and good humor. I'm so grateful to everyone involved.  Every night this week, as I fell into bed, thoroughly exhausted, I thought about how lucky I feel to be a part of this show, at this moment in my life.

Onward, now, to our first public performance tomorrow night...

No comments: